Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Home

Today is the day. Dad is home. We were told to go to the VA to pick up his medication, and of course, we got there, and no medication. We waited over 45 minutes to talk to the Dr or his nurse, and it didn't happen, so I scheduled an appt for this afternoon to get it resolved. The nurse has called to find out what is going on and we may not have to go back. I am expecting another call.

It is very frustrating to not know what is going on! The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and it sucks being caught in the middle.

So far Dad has needed help to get up the stairs which I knew he would, and it hasn't been too bad, He is trying to be non needy, but I also understand that he is NEEDY right now and I expect it.

I know that my life is going to be changing and I really think that I have done what I can to prepare, but I am sure that the reality will be completely different than my expectations.
I just want everyone to be happy and get what they need. I know that I will have to make sacrifices for that to happen. I hope that is appreciated. I am going to be giving up my extra income, my sense of self by not having a job and not contributing that way. I will be giving up my individuality and trying to become a selfless caregiver. How does one make that transition. I can see it when you are becoming a parent. I understand the desire to stay home with the baby, but most people in my situation would let someone else care for the parent. I know that would be easier on me, but I don't really trust someone else to do my job. I never have. Even with Dad being in Rehabs and everything else,I know he got alright care, but it is a JOB to the staff, most of them are there to collect a paycheck, not all of them CARE about the patient, and you can see it. Dad had some Great nurses and therapist, and he also had some not so great ones. I respect people who choose to go into the medical field, but damn it, if you are going to do it, do it for the right reasons. Don't do it because you think it will be easy to get a job. Care about the people that you are caring for, treat them with respect, they don't really want to be there, they would all rather be home, so make them welcome! Don't treat them like mindless children! Let them know what you need to do and why, don't just start doing things and then get mad when they resist! Dad told me of one nurse who just kept coming in and start undressing him for bed or a shower with out even a Hello how are you doing?- Really, How would you like that? I understand that you have a job to do, and you may have a time line, but BE NICE! It is a lot better for you and for your patients. Well I need to make lunch for Dad. So it begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment