Thursday, August 19, 2010

Another new chapter

Dad was declared legally blind today. He has macular degeneration in both eyes, and has there isn't a prescription available that will help. So now that opens a whole new chapter and issue I get to deal with.

The good news is that it changed his status with the VA, and he will no longer have co-pay's, but the bad news is, he can't see anything. There is a "blind camp" that he can go to free of charge with the VA, to learn how to use visual aids and other equipment so he can use his computer and things. They gave him some MaxxTV glasses, and he looks like Poindexter, but at least he can see the TV.

I am going to Contact the state and see if him being blind will change his status as far as getting in home care. It would be very nice to be able to have them pay for respite care instead of paying for it out of pocket.


On another note, we are going to visit family next month. We are going to take almost a week and go to IF to see Dad's sister(and I get to see my wonderful in law's and some really great friends) and then we are going to Elko to see Dad's brother and most of his kids! I am excited, it has been almost a year since I have seen family!!!! Last October and November for most, although I did see my in law's in May. But I have great in law's and only a few times a year kills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment